The first open air creative meeting was realized in 1959 in the village of Sankt Margarethen, Austria, in the area of the already closed limestone quarry founded by the Romans. „The father“ of this idea was a sculptor, teacher and later professor at Vienna Academy Karl Prantl.
At the beginning of the 1960s the idea of creative sculpture symposiums started spreading to other countries. Forma Viva, in former Yugoslavia, today´s Slovenia, has been the second and still continuously functioning international sculpture symposium since 1961. It was founded by Janez Lenassi and Jakob Savinšek. The project of Skulpturen Weg in Germany was the other sculpture symposium initiated by Leo Kornbrust, a sculptor and professor at Munich Academy.
Former Czechoslovakia was also one of the first European countries which had its own international sculpture symposium in the 1960s. It was in Hořice in Bohánečský quarry in Podkrkonoší area. Here the sculptor Vladimír Preclík initiated the foundation of the first sculpture park near the hill of St. Gothard. This oldest symposium has still been functioning for more than 50 years. In the second part of the 1960s the Czech sculptor Miroslav Chlupáč founded the international sculpture symposium in the spa town Vyšné Ružbachy pod Tatrami in Slovakia in the area of a closed travertin quarry. The symposium has not functioned for several decades.